Saturday, December 31, 2011

Wrapping Up 2011 - Diagnosis Reflection



As the year comes to a close, I thought I would share this video as my last MKF Group Blog post of 2011. The video touches on my mAss kickin' journey since my diagnosis of a brain tumor in September of 2007 and how in the grand scheme of things I am changed for the better. The biggest change since my diagnosis was shifting my mindset from the underdog perspective to using what I have experienced and learned to help others - thinking bigger than just my individual diagnosis has made a world of difference in my perspective and attitude.

After re-herniating and rupturing discs in my lower back last fall and eventually having surgery to repair the damage in the spring, I expected 2011 to be a year dedicated strictly to recovery. However, my year of recovery turned into a year of discovery. Although I didn't even realize it at first, I spent my newfound free time away from sports and socializing reevaluating myself.

Key thoughts from 2011:

- You only get once chance to get things right; make this life one worth living

- Life is a class, make sure you put to use what you're learning (outside of the classroom)

- You can always turn a negative situation into a positive. Things can always be worse, much, much, worse

- Everything happens for a reason, even if that reason isn't apparent or doesn't become apparent until years down the road

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you Ready to be a mAss Kicker?

We think ALL Tumors Suck! We believe a stronger community needs to be formed to more efficiently fight these diseases. JOIN THE MASS KICKERS ARMY! Content here will be provided by real people who have been affected by tumors/cancer. Any one can be a "mAss Kicker". When facing a new intimidating diagnosis it is easy to loose confidence. We've found that the "Right ATTITUDE" will help get you through a difficult time! Are you ready to be a "mAss Kicker?"